HI GUYS! i'm not really that good in teaching but i'll teach you my technique in coloring anyway.
This is my drawing Nini and her pet cat Kuring Mundo First, finalize your drawing by using black pen to make the outline more visible to the scanner, erase the unnecessary (pencil) lines.
1. Scan ur drawing in Photoshop
File->Import->(select your printer eg., Canon MP140 ser)
Use this setting after: Grayscale, 300dpi
2. Adjust the brightness and contrast.
Erase the unwanted lines (again) if you see one.
How to get rid of the whites!
3. Double click the background to make it a layer, click ok.
4. Create a new layer, fill it with " WHITE"
Create a new layer ( blue line) name it "LINES"
5. Drag it down.
6. Select the layer named "LINES",
Set the blending mode from NORMAL to MULTIPLY
go to Windows->Channels
7. Click Load channel as selection (blue)
8. Push delete in your keyboard.
Now all is left is the outlines!
Now the fun part!
9. Create a new layer named it "HAIR COLOR"
drag it below the "LINES"
the "WHITE" should always be below the rest 'coz this will be the new background!
Anyway, Select the "HAIR COLOR" click the brush tool,
in the brush set select "basic brush" select a color ( I chose blue)
and color the whole part of the hair (don't worry about execessive colors, we will get rid of it anyway later.)
10. Now select the eraser tool! Erase the blue outside the hair area.
same procedure for coloring the skin and the rest...
Create a new layer name it SKIN COLOR, DRESS, BOOT, etc.
This will be the finish product!
as you can see, I add shades in my drawing, to do this use the lasso tool
11. Select a darker color for the shade
and with the lasso tool, create a shape in an area you want to shade.
press ALT+BACKSPACE to fill the shape.
I use the same technique in the hair, this time, I use this to make highlight.
Please post if you have any questions regarding this topic! Promise, I'll help you!